Received: Feb 22, 2023, Manuscript No. PHMETHODS-23-96788; Editor assigned: Feb 24, 2023, Pre QC No. PHMETHODS-23-96788(PQ); Reviewed: Mar 10, 2023, QC No. PHMETHODS-23-96788; Revised: Mar 17, 2023, Manuscript No. PHMETHODS-23-96788(R); Published: Mar 27, 2023, DOI: 10.35248/2229-4708.23.14.246
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted every aspect of our daily lives, including education. In response to the pandemic, universities and schools worldwide have had to adapt their teaching methods to facilitate remote learning. This shift to remote learning has affected students in different ways, with some students finding it challenging to adapt to the new teaching format. In this article, we will discuss pharmacy student perceptions of remote learning. Pharmacy is a profession that involves the safe and effective use of medication. It is a vital part of the healthcare system, and pharmacists play a crucial role in patient care. Pharmacy education involves a combination of didactic and experiential learning. Didactic learning involves traditional classroom-based teaching, while experiential learning involves practical training in a pharmacy setting.
The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted the pharmacy profession, with pharmacists at the forefront of the pandemic response. The pandemic has also affected pharmacy education, with universities and schools worldwide having to adjust their teaching methods to facilitate remote learning. Remote learning involves the use of technology to deliver educational content to students who are not physically present in the classroom. To understand pharmacy student perceptions of remote learning, we conducted a survey of pharmacy students from various universities worldwide. The survey was conducted between December 2021 and January 2022, and we received responses from over 500 pharmacy students. The survey consisted of both open-ended and closed-ended questions, and the data were analysed using descriptive statistics.
The survey revealed that the majority of pharmacy students had experienced remote learning during the pandemic. Over 80% of respondents reported having attended remote classes, while the remaining 20% had not attended any remote classes. When asked about their experience with remote learning, over 70% of respondents reported that they found it challenging to adapt to the new teaching format. The remaining 30% of respondents reported that they did not find it challenging to adapt to remote learning. The most significant challenge reported by pharmacy students regarding remote learning was a lack of interaction with classmates and teachers. The lack of face-to-face interaction made it difficult for students to ask questions and participate in discussions. Some students also reported feeling isolated and disconnected from their classmates and teachers, which affected their motivation and engagement in the learning process. Another challenge reported by pharmacy students was the lack of practical training opportunities. Pharmacy education involves both didactic and experiential learning, and remote learning made it difficult for students to access practical training opportunities. Some students reported feeling unprepared for their future careers due to the lack of practical training.
Despite the challenges, some pharmacy students reported benefits to remote learning. Over 50% of respondents reported that remote learning allowed them to have more flexibility in their schedules. This flexibility allowed them to balance their academic responsibilities with other commitments, such as work and family. Some students also reported that remote learning helped them develop independent learning skills. Remote learning requires students to be self-motivated and disciplined, which can help them develop skills that are essential for their future careers.